In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Surgery at Maun Art Exhibition


“He who depreciates art loves neither philosophy nor nature. Truly art is a science, the true-born child of nature.” Spoken by Italian Renaissance artist Leonardo da Vinci over four hundred years ago, this philosophical statement continues to inspire modern artists around the globe.

For a long time I have neglected the visual artist (fine art) in me. I can’t remember the last time I sat down and created a work of fine art. When I was approached to take part in the upcoming fine art exhibition by Maun-based artists, it was a chance for me to awaken the sleeping persona that had been dormant for many years. Of course I’ve been engaged in some form of visual arts (mostly graphics) but fine art is the kind that always pokes at my emotions. Somehow, through my conceptual art, I feel like it is the other voice, alongside poetry, with which I can truly display my thoughts, emotions and general outlook at the world. 

My art has long been divorced from direct/representational kind of art. I hope this is the kind of art form that will tap at the viewer’s curiosity and engage with one’s thoughts. I will be exhibiting a mixed media piece entitled, Surgery. Although media is mixed, surgery is operated on a base of sepia mono-print on fabriano paper. Molten bees-wax is pasted almost haphazardly, yet somewhat controlled, over subtle and fading prints of illegible words. The shape formed by the paste is stitched painfully on the edges in black and white embroidery thread. Crimson acrylic had been squeezed though cracks in the wax, giving an impression of clotted blood. More careless stitches can be seen around the artwork, creating an unpleasant border. The work is framed on a glassless black and gold frame. More about this work, including image, will be posted after the opening on the exhibition on Wednesday 17th August 1730hrs at the Nhabe Museum, Maun, Botswana.  Refer to the post below for more details on other participating artists.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bogdan.

    Thank you so much.I'm so honoured.I've visited your site too, it looks beautiful - wonderful pictures too. I wish I understood the language! Will surely link up with you.Stay blessed...

    ReplyDelete