In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Water, Water, Everywhere, Nor any Drop to Drink

A third week is now beginning since we last had water in Maun. There hasn’t been much explanation to the crisis except that ‘the boreholes had been washed away by the flooding Thamalakane River,’ or ‘water pipes are still being cleaned.’ It’s been way too long for one to go without such a vital need in human, animal and plant life. Now you can imagine what that means. 

As I write, my body is aching for a good bath – and I can’t remember the last time I had one. Think of water system toilets, they hadn’t been working for weeks! Take a look at my beloved garden. It was such a great sight that supplied me, my friends and my neighbours with enough fresh produce. You see, I’m vegetarian – and I really depend on this garden. It is my life support. Now someone is depriving us - me and my garden - the lifeblood of survival; water. I was merely following the president's initiative and I don't think he will take this kindly. The first three photos show my garden in full health, and the rest, gosh...









Very ironic that this region is in abundance of water – yet we don’t have any in our houses. The rivers are flooding, bridges and culverts breaking down. Lake Ngami and other delta tributaries are, in fact, over spilling. We don’t know as to when the remedy to the situation will be.  
I’m reminded of Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s poem;

"Water, water, everywhere,
     And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
     Nor any drop to drink."

Sometimes it can drizzle at around 0200hrs. Only in the outside tap. So I would set up my alarm at such times of the morning just to check if there is anything dropping off the tap. Dazed from heavy sleep (2am isn’t a very friendly time. More so when one has to go to work in the morning) I’d stagger outside, trip on my own feet in the darkness as I wander to the tap. Many a time, I come back disappointed – not even a breath of air from the pipe. At those times when there is something, I’d fill my containers including all the cups and glasses in the kitchen. By the time I try to pour a couple of buckets on at least one of my vegetable plots, the pipes would run dry, or, the eastern horizon would brighten up – an indication that it’s time to get dressed for work. Yes, that’s how it has become of late; I dress up for work and there is very little bathing – so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment