In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Got My Things and Left

‘I got my things and left.’ That’s the first line that opens his novel, House of Hunger.  This, I tell you, threw me back in heaves of laughter.  So simple yet its punch sent me reeling from its power. What follows is a powerfully written prose, vivid and staggering with a slight tinge of humour. I’m reading this book for the second time! Dambuzdo Marechera is such a powerful storyteller. This Zimbabwean writer and poet still remains one of my main inspirations. I really find novels therapeutic and somewhat meditative. Whoever still believes that novels are not worth reading should think again – long and hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment