In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Few Inspirational Quotes

“There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” - Malcolm X
 
“Asking a working writer what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp-post how it feels about dogs.” - Christopher Hampton

“Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage” - Maya Angelou

“Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
“Words need to be crafted, not sprayed. They need to be fitted together with infinite care.” - Norman Cousins

“A reading man and woman is a ready man and woman, but a writing man and woman is exact." - Marcus Garvey

“Many will call me an adventurer - and that I am, only one of a different sort: one of those who risks his skin to prove his platitudes.” - Che Guevara
 
“What I like in a good author isn't what he says, but what he whispers.” - Logan Pearsall Smith

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” - Nelson Mandela

“My alma mater was books, a good library... I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.” - Malcolm X

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” -  Anton Chekhov

“A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.” - Nelson Mandela

“It is impossible to discourage the real writers - they don't give a damn what you say, they are going to write"- Sinclair Lewis

“If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life.” - Marcus Garvey 

“You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when you are dead, you can't care anyway.” - Steve Biko

“I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass” - Maya Angelou

“I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.” – Nelson Mandela 
“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.” - Maya Angelou

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.”  - Nelson Mandela

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.” - Richard Bach.
 
 “A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right.” - John K. Hutchens

No comments:

Post a Comment