In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Friday, April 15, 2011

What A Festival!!!

The long awaited Maun International Poetry Festival 2011 has come and now gone, leaving behind a trail of good memories. It indeed was a beautiful night. In fact, two beautiful nights. 

It started on Friday 25th March with a narrative writing workshop facilitated by Botumile Bontekanye (of the book ‘The Seeds Children’) and It’s All Write columnist (The Voice) Lauri Kubuitsile. The workshop was super beautiful! The participants were all poets and not necessarily prose writers. It was interesting to learn yet another form of writing. I, personally, am a writer of both poetry and prose (fiction and non-fiction). So the workshop was beneficial to me as I learnt a few things I didn’t know before. I enjoyed the exercises so much. They were real funny.

Saturday was the day! It began at 10am with a preliminary show that comprised of student performers. It’s amazing how great the students were. Most of them were from the senior school but hey, the standard of their writing and quality of performances were very impressive.  

The Main show was supposed to start at 5pm but started at 7pm instead. The line up of performers was owesome and every performer spellbound the audience. Juby Peacock, Mista Poke, Mandisa Mabuthoe, Priskath, Prophet Caribbean Weed, King Philosopher, Messenger, Vygos, Tautona, Ntirelang Berman, Ngwao Putswa, Swankiss, Berry Heart, Andreattah Chuma, Outspoken, Zwesh Fi Kush, TJ Dema, Upmost… This list will grow even longer next year when the festival comes again.

Although I was confused on which poems to do, I finally settled for The Value of X, Do You Dig You Pig and Bombs Explode! The audience loved them. I'm always ecstatic when I get a positive response from my audience. I was seated down on a chair, playing my acoustic guitar, as I usually do. Reciting whilst playing back-up music for myself has become my trade mark.

The turn-up of the audience was also impressive for a first show. But remember, Poetavango had already established solid followers who wouldn’t miss a show. Plus, advertising for the show was very well done, with the help of Lauri Kubuitsile.

Check Poetavango Facebook page for event photos. They look great!

No comments:

Post a Comment