In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Truth Hurts


“I’m lost in a snowstorm. The wind shrieks, blows stinging sheets of snow into my eyes. I stagger through layers of shifting white. I call for help but the wind drowns my cries. I fall and lie panting on the snow, lost in the white, the wind wailing in my ears. I watch the snow erase my fresh footprints. ‘I’m a ghost now’, I think, ‘a ghost with no footprints’.” Extract from ‘The Kite Runner,’ a novel by Khaled Hosseini.

I’m reading this book now, and there’s one vital lesson I just learnt; ‘Better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.’ It amazes me how Khaled’s very first novel could be so powerful.  Truth indeed, can hurt. But the pain wears off with time. A lie, no matter how comfortable it is, will shatter you big time the moment it's revealed. Big up to Khaled for such a gripping and inspiring tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment