In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Friday, July 20, 2012

New Words


New and unfamiliar words always have a peculiar way of interesting me. English is my second language but whenever I read a book and come across a strange word, I never brush it aside and pass it by. Neither do I just assume the meaning from the context within which the word has been used.  New words spark up a deep curiosity within me.  They conjure varying possibilities in my mind and hence perturb the mind from further focus in the very act of reading. Malcolm X read the dictionary from A to Z and I assume that by so doing, he was preparing himself from the dilemma that unfamiliar words can rouse. I contemplate doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment