In My Room/Office/Studio

In My Room/Office/Studio
"A writer and nothing else: a man alone in a room with the English language, trying to get human feelings right." - John K. Hutchen.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Alma Mater


I just revisited a collection of short stories by African writers and the power and intensity of the writings still spellbind me.  The plots, with which I can easily identify as an African, are gripping and the story lines summon a concoction of emotions - though I’ve read these I-don’t-know-how-many-times before. In his story, The Man, which was banned in his home country, The Congo, Emmanuel Dongala writes in a style and approach that squeezes tears off my eyes. Light-hearted and satirical language yet the deadly seriousness of the underlying subject matter hits like a full blow. Eish, the power of the written word!  Take anything away from me but don’t take my books...please. Books are my alma mater.  

No comments:

Post a Comment